I need to write today, but I can’t wrap my head around what I want to say quite yet. There are problems in school/baseball, the boys aren’t getting along. It’s the end of the year – 3 1/2 days left – and we’re just trying to make it through to summer. Everyone just needs a break I think.
So, instead, a Thursday thirteen for you.
Thirteen of my favorite songs:
1. Colorful (Steel Dragon) – I’m a sucker for sappy lyrics. “You are more beautiful when you awake than most are in a lifetime”
2. Faithfully (Journey) – This song reminds me of my friend, Drummer Boy. I don’t know why…I don’t remember what connects the two. But I smile when I hear it. Drummer Boy and I listened to the entire Rush 2112 album one night and he explained the entire story to me as we listened. Still not a big Rush fan though. Sorry, DB!
3. Canon in D (Pachelbel) – I heard my grandfather practice this piece repeatedly one summer in preparation for a wedding. I was probably 10 or 12 and I decided that I wanted him to play that at MY wedding. He did, and it was beautiful. I think of him every time I hear it.
4. In Your Eyes (Peter Gabriel) – I know. Juvenile. But I loved all those 80’s teen flicks and the image of Lloyd standing outside with the boom box over his head playing this song for Diane? Gets me every time.
5. Anything by Dave Matthews Band – The soundtrack for the movie we saw in the Omni Theater on the Boston field trip was by them. I was thrilled and frankly, it made the whole movie about the river MUCH more interesting!
6. Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison) – Early on in our relationship I asked the Postman what his favorite song was. Ever the slick one, he replied “whatever song is playing the first time we make love.” After a little more prodding, he decided on this one. I’ll be damned if it didn’t play the first time…which made us both laugh, and I think that’s when the deal closed. So I have to add it to my favorites, don’t you think?
7. You Are the Love of My Life (Jim Brickman and Michael W. Smith) – The Postman sent this to my e-mail once – just the link to the song – when we were going through a rough patch. Now it makes me cry. Good tears.
8. Sweet Caroline (Neil Diamond) – What can I say? I’m a Sox fan.
9. Crazy Train (Ozzy) – My son LOVED this song when he was a toddler. I’m not even sure how or when he first heard it, but I think of that little baby voice singing what he thought the words were.
10. Photograph (Def Leppard) – I’m an 80’s girl. “I wanna touch you!”
11. Shakin’ (Eddie Money) – There’s a definite 80’s vibe going on in this list, isn’t there? Who can listen to this song and not move?
12. Classical Guitar (Eric Clapton) – Not much to say about this one except I think it’s beautiful.
13. December 1963 (Oh, What A Night) (Frankie Valle and the Four Seasons) – Again, who can hear this and not move and sing? It’s FUN!
That’s it folks. Happy Thursday!
Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. ~Victor Hugo